‘Shiro’ means head. ‘Dhara’ means flowing like a thread. Shirodhara is a sacred, ancient Ayurvedic therapy from India dating back 10,000 years ago. Anointing the head with warm oil renews the sweetness of life.
Shirodhara is a profound mind-melting treatment using ayurvedic oils poured in a steady stream over the forehead and scalp typically followed by massage. This treatment allows warm oil to flow in a steady stream on the forehead, particularly on the brow and in the region between the eyes. It cleans both the mind and the senses, which allows the body’s natural healing mechanisms to release stress from the nervous systems. This in turn, improves mental clarity and comprehension.
Shirodhara balances the third eye and stimulates the nervous system by releasing neuro hormones and creating ecstatic feelings of relaxation and pleasure.
Benefits of Shirodhara Therapy
- Eliminates diseases of head and disorders affecting neck, eyes, ears, nose and nervous system.
- Helps overcome stress and its ill effects on nervous system
- Helps relieve insomnia, fatigue, tension, anxiety, anger, chronic headaches, rheumatism, hypertension, asthma, hair problems and stress
- Gives great mental relaxation
- Invigorates the body and mind and stimulates cognitive memories
- Disperses negative electrical impulses that accumulate at the skull and hairline from stress
- Renews the sweetness of life
- Rejuvenates the entire face and softens worry lines
- Opens the third eye
- Heightens the senses
- Increases intuition
- Activates the pituitary gland
- Increases spiritual awareness
- Regulates mood and depression disorders
- Activates the memory
- Stimulates the 6th and 7th charka which regulate our breathing patterns